CITCM welcomes international students to study and experience exceptional learning at our college under one or more of the following programs:
- The Acupuncture Diploma program
- The Double Major Acupuncture & Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine Diploma program
- The Bachelor Degree of Traditional Chinese Medicine in cooperation with the Shandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine in China
- Massage Therapy, both a 1000 hours and a 2200 hours programs, utilizing the Integrated Western and Eastern (WE) philosophies and methodologies
All CITCM programs are Designated Learning Programs and are therefore eligible to enroll foreign nationals on a study permit. We encourage all international students to apply as CITCM believes that having students from all countries and cultures can only benefit and enrich both the student and the college.
CITCM is a Designated Learning Institution in Canada (DLI No: O19256722732)
CITCM is designated institute as of June 1st, 2014.
International students have several advantages to attending CITCM to study massage, acupuncture, or traditional Chinese medicine. In addition to exceptional education a foreign student will normally:
- Be able to work 20 hour per week while studying at CITCM with a valid study permit;
- Be able to have provincial health care coverage while studying at CITCM;
- Pay the same tuition as Canadian students;
- Have access to living in a student residence at SAIT which is within walking distance to CITCM
CITCM has been accepting international students in the past. However, what makes it different this time are the changes from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) which became effective June 1st, 2014. These changes allow international students to qualify to work off campus without a work permit up to 20 hours per week while they study at CITCM and only designated learning institution by CIC can receive international students. To see the list of designated learning institutions in Canada, click here and select “Alberta” in the province/territory field.
What should I do before I apply?
1. Date the Application Deadline
Our programs start every September. International students are advised to apply at least 6 months before in order to allow sufficient time for application acceptance and study permit process.
2. Meet the admission requirements and Language Proficiency Requirements
The primary language of instruction at CITCM is English. All international students must meet the admissions requirements outlined in the Admissions section of the CITCM Student Handbook, and meet the required English Language Proficiency requirement. English is the language of instruction in all programs at CITCM. To enable academic success all international student applicants are required to demonstrate communicative proficiency in the English language prior to admission acceptance at CITCM. This requirement may be demonstrated by one of the following methods:
- A TOEFL ibt score of 72 or higher with a minimum of 18 in each skill/category on the internet based test. English Language Arts 30-1 equivalency.
- An IELTS score of 6.0 in each skill/category or higher. English Language Arts 30-1 equivalency.
- Successful completion of English, with a minimum course mark of 60%, including a minimum of three years of education at an English speaking Canadian school or at a recognized International English speaking school.
- Completion with a minimum course mark of 60%, of a post secondary English or Communications course, including a minimum of three years of education at an English speaking Canadian School or at a recognized International English speaking school.
- A minimum score of 7 in Canadian Language Benchmarks Assessment (CLBA). The CLBA measures English proficiency in Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing.
3. Prepare your transcripts and other documents.
Documents to be included in the application package:
- A Completed Application Form
- Copies of official transcript and diploma certificate of high school and post secondary (if any)
- Letter of Intent (describing why you would like to study Acupuncture/TCM/Massage at CITCM)
- Two Letters of Reference (can be from past employers, instructors, etc)
- 2 pieces of recent photographs (3 cm x 4 cm)
Documents that are not in English must be accompanied by an official English translation.
Please do not send your original documents to CITCM (transcripts and diploma certificates). Once you are admitted, you will be asked to submit the official transcripts.
4. Find out what you need to apply for a student visa. If you are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you will require a study permit. Please check Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website about the requirements, eligibility, and processing time. Please include CITCM DLI number in your study permit application as required by CIC.
Students can apply for transfer credit from previous post-secondary education (University/College). This assessment service is offered to all CITCM students.
Transcript Assessment (Transfer Credit)
If you have previously completed education at an accredited post-secondary institution, you can apply to have your past course work assessed. To be considered, the following criteria must be met:
- Previous grades must be 60% or better.
- All relevant courses must have been completed within the past 5-7 years (addressed on a case by case basis pending relevant professional or work related experience that may exist)
- Course credit hours are at least equivalent to CITCM courses.
- Course curriculum must be a 75% of the required hours match to CITCM courses.
- Detailed course syllabus and learning outcomes from your previous institution.
- CITCM has a 50% residency rate. Applicants can request credit transfer for up to 50% of any CITCM program. The remaining 50% must be taken at CITCM to qualify for credential.
- When submitting foreign documentation for transfer credit evaluation, please provide transcripts and the detailed course outlines translated to English by an official translator.
When to Apply
CITCM accepts applications for all programs up until the first two weeks of the start of the academic year. However, there is a continuous selection processes in place so it is best to apply early.
September (start of each academic year)
Applications are currently being accepted .
How Do I Apply?
Send a complete application package to:
300 1824 Crowchild Tr NW (Two Executive Place),
Calgary, AB T2M 3Y7
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What Happens Next?
You will be contacted by the Registrar to inform you that we receive your application package and that it is under review. You will be notified by email or phone if any documents are missing and if your application is accepted or not. An acceptance package (acceptance letter and tuition contract) will be mailed when you have been accepted. You will be required to sign and mail back the tuition contract and the official transcript to CITCM with a deposit of $500 to confirm your registration and reserve your seat. A copy of a signed contract from the Registrar will be mailed to you, so you can then proceed to apply for your study permit along with other required documents by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
For more information, please email email@example.com.
Medical Insurance/Health Care for International Students
International students who will be studying in our WE Massage (1113 and 2200 hours) and Acupuncture programs (Acupuncture, Double Major, and Bachelor Degree) are eligible for Alberta Health Care Insurance Program (AHCIP) which allows student to get specific medical expenses coverage for free in Alberta. Coverage is immediate upon application and you are eligible from your day of arrival in Alberta. To apply, please fill out the Application Form and mail to the address on the bottom of the form.
Or you can apply in person at one of the registry offices around Calgary area.
For more details on AHCIP coverage, please visit the website.
International Students who will be studying in Canada for less than 12 months must purchase a private health insurance plan through an insurance company or agent in their home country or in Canada. Medical insurers in Canada are authorized to provide this service to those who apply within 5 days of arriving in Canada.
Do I need extra medical insurance?
We recommend students get additional insurance/plan because AHCIP only covers specific medical expenses such as doctor visits, lab and hospital costs, etc. The additional insurance helps you to pay for situations not covered by AHCIP, for example: prescription drugs, dental or eye check, ambulance service, etc.
If you have private medical insurance from your home country that can be transferred/used in Canada, you do not need to purchase additional medical insurance.
Our International Student Advisor is pleased to offer information on the following topics:
- Information on transportation, route, etc
- Information on banking, cell phone set -up
- Applying for Alberta Health Care
- Personal and cultural transition to Canada
- Any other non-academic questions or concerns
Ambassador Motor Inn
802 16 Ave NE, Calgary, AB T2E 1K8
Tel Star Motor Inn
Calgary International Youth Hostel
520 – 7 Avenue SE, Calgary AB
Tel: 1-866-762-4122; 1-403-670-7580
Super 8 Village Calgary AB
1904 Crowchild Trail NW
Calgary, AB T2M 3Y7
Greenwood Inn and Suites
3515 26 St NE
Radisson Heights – Albert Park, AB T1Y 7E3
EconoLodge Motel Village
2440 16 Ave NW
Calgary, AB T2M 0M5
Note: Single room rates range $50 – $150 per night depending on the time of year. Rates are not guaranteed and may vary by the time you arrive in Canada. Please confirm rates prior to booking your accommodations.
For those who wish to live in an apartment, many students are able to find accommodations within walking distance of CITCM to minimize on transportation time and costs. Rentfaster.ca is one of the online tools to look for apartments, rooms, or houses available in Calgary area.
City of Calgary
Information on Calgary communities, maps, schools, crime statistics, etc.
Trains and buses are available in most part of the cities. A single fare is $3.00 or a monthly pass for unlimited travels for $94.00/pass (recommended). Visit Calgary Transit for more details on schedules, route maps, fares, etc.
International Student Advisor
Our International Student Advisor is available Monday – Friday, 09:00 to 15:00.
Should you be unable to come in to see us in person, you may also call or email us below.
International Student Advisor for CITCM:
Mewah (Mei) Susana:
+1 (403) 520-5289
+1 (403) 520-5258